Award winning Scottish singer songwriter Dean Owens is one of UK’s finest troubadours, with fans including authors Irvine Welsh and Ian Rankin, and BBC legend Bob Harris.
His music is a unique blend of Scottish roots and Americana – the unfettered enthusiasm of a rock’n’roller coupled with the sympathetic delivery of folk’s best storytellers. A spellbinding live performer, with memorable songs and a searingly soulful voice.
Dean’s music has taken him all over the world, particularly throughout the USA, where he has made most of his 8 solo albums, including his latest, Sinner’s Shrine, recorded with iconic Latin rockers Calexico, and released jointly on London’s Eel Pie Records and Netherlands’ CRS (2022).
He can perform solo, as a duo, or with his new band, The Sinners – a specially curated 4 piece of top quality musicians, including bass, electric guitar and trumpet, to showcase the songs from Sinner’s Shrine.
Sinner’s Shrine is the latest stop on a lifetime’s journey – from the post-industrial heartlands of Scotland to the wide-open vistas of the American Southwest – with themes of love and lust, sinners and saints, the displaced, the wanderers and the border ghosts.
While still rooted in Dean’s signature sound, the album sees him pushing boundaries, adding desert noir and Latin nuances to his musical palette.
- Best UK Act – Americana-UK Readers Poll 2021
- UK Song Of The Year 2019 – UK Americana Music Association
- Owens sings with a dark majesty that matches the gigantic emotional pull of his songs… Mojo
- more intoxicating than the most treacherous of mezcals… Rolling Stone (France)
- one of my favourite artists – Bob Harris (BBC)
- varied, vibrant and thoroughly fascinating… American Songwriter
- one of the most interesting and innovative artists in Americana… Lonesome Highway
- visionary and rewarding… Folk Radio UK
- the pulse of all our lives… Irvine Welsh